Monday, March 8, 2010

Every now and then...

...I visit a place and become attached. NOLA is one of those places. Our last day in NOLA, I bought myself a few souvenirs. My favorite, however, is a fleur de lis paperweight that is black and gold. It is currently sitting on top of my desk, and is a constant reminder of the city of New Orleans, my experiences there, and the people I will never forget.

My first blog will be about the actual city of New Orleans. I LOVE this place. It is so completely eclectic that I can't help but love it. There are so many different areas that seem completely opposite of each other. One thing, however, remains throughout the entirety of the city -- that is, the pride that its residents, and even its visitors, exhibit for the entire city. This was evident everywhere -- the French Quarter, Lower 9th, etc. The old buildings and uneven slabs of cobblestone they call "sidewalks" are wonders. The iron used in the balconies and all the houses in the Garden district that look haunted are incredible. The tiny restaurants that tourists and hometowners can't get enough of. And Bourbon -- that needs no explaining.

One of my favorite parts of experiencing the city of New Orleans was comparing it with the Bay Area. The most I can say is that it is nothing like the Bay Area. Beyond the food and the architecture, the very "feel" of the city and its people are different. It really is something that one cannot put into words - it needs to be experienced. This was not only evident in interactions at restaurants and tourist attractions, but also at Southeast Louisiana Legal Services and in the courtroom with Judge Chase. The most I can say is this: there is just something about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment