Thursday, March 4, 2010

delicious food, beautiful people, and city with so much love to give...

It's Thursday morning and we have all arrived to NOLAC ready to start work. I feel as if the week has flown by but I've managed to stop at different times and take in the sights, the food, and the people that I've met.

Yesterday we had a delicious group dinner at Jacques-Imos (true "nawln" food). This restaurant is a staple of NOLA and a staple of our spring break trip. Jacques-Imo himself made appearances throughout the dinner to welcome us to his restaurant. Our table started the meal off with a delectable Shrimp and Alligator Cheesecake (think quiche, not desert cheesecake), an eggplant appetizer, and fried grits. We enjoyed the appetizers family style and for dinner most of our table shared steak, fried chicken, and mushroom stuffed salmon. We ended our meal with cheesecake squares, creme brulee, and bread pudding. Everything was amazing and completely satisfying.

When we arrived to dinner, there was a sweet gentleman greeting those entering the restaurant. He had money clipped to a necklace around his neck and I asked him what it was about. He knew right then that I was not a local because he explained to me that it was his birthday and that was the birthday tradition here in NOLA. After I was explained the tradition, I saw a woman yell from across the street to the gentleman "Happy birthday! Hope you have a great day!" Clearly, this was a tradition known and continued here in NOLA. It was beautiful to watch this interaction...I'm not sure if they knew each other or if they were complete strangers, but that exchange made me happy to see and understand.

He was wonderful, vibrant, and welcoming. That is the beauty of New Orleans...it does not matter if you are a tourist....you are welcomed by the locals and they are nothing but nice to you. This is a city filled with corruption, racism, and destruction, but those issues do not stop the locals from greeting anyone and everyone with a smile and a warm hello. They are always happy to answer a question or give you recommendations on food. This city has not lost its warmth and that is what I absolutely love every time I am here. The city embraces everyone like a mother giving her child a loving embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment